Saturday, October 16, 2010

Indianapolis Marathon 2010

Susan feeling pretty rough at this point (21 miles)












This is an exerpt from Susan’s DM post

 “Scott and I went to Indianapolis with Rob and Robin to run my first full marathon. The day of the marathon started with us getting to packet pick-up and finding out we had not registered. LUCKILY they had race day registration. The weather was perfect! It was like 40 degrees at the start and didn't get over 70. Scott and I ran/walked the whole thing together.

 We started out doing 2:1 intervals and my goal was to run at a 12 min pace and walk at a 17 min pace so I could finish under 6 hours. I was feeling so good that it was hard to run that slow. In fact I actually was running close to 11 min pace. So I did have a little extra time banked but at about 10 miles I started having that same cramp in my big toe that I had in the Oklahoma City Half Marathon. I thought I was doing a good job of fueling but at that point we stepped up the electrolytes. I fueled on margarita shot blocks, cytomax, gatorade and accel gels. I did also take some gu later on and toward the end I drank a gatorade prime. I hit the halfway mark at 2:49 but it kind of went down hill from there. I was struggling. My legs were getting tired and mentally it felt like it was going to go on forever. Scott was doing such a great job encouraging me and trying to help me along. I didn't want to quit, but I realized I probably wasn't going to make my 6 hour goal. We switched to 1:1 but even that was a struggle at times and I ended up walking a lot more. Rob completed his marathon and then came back and met up with us at mile 21 and supported me the rest of the way into the finish. Robin was there to cheer us all along the way. She was a total lifesaver at about mile 10 when I needed electrolyte tablets. Scott's Aunt Kathy and Uncle John came to see us at the finish also. I did finish it and even was able to pick it up at the very end. It was a great accomplishment for me! I don't know that I have any desire to do another marathon but definitely still want to do half marathons. I think they will feel more like a walk in the park than that full marathon felt. We also met some really neat people on the course and the scenery was absolutely amazing! It was an experience I will never forget.”

No comments: